My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Links

- Cardinal Pell says Same-sex marriage votes show society is abandoning Christian foundation, thus promoting the lie that there is only one Christian view of same-sex relationships, a negative one. He ignores that the Episcopal Church, the Presbyterian Church, the UCC, the Quakers, etc., support marriage for same-sex couples. Meanwhile, Pell's Church in Australia tries to get taxpayers to pay the bill for its sex abuse crimes.

- The Unbearable Darkness of Prestige Television ... Critically acclaimed genre series such as Game of Thrones and True Detective are using bleak self-seriousness to distance themselves from their lowbrow roots.

- The Work We Do While We Sleep

- Giving teens effective contraception like IUDs cut the unwanted baby birthrate by 40%. So why did Republicans cut funding? ... The real issue here is that opponents of accessible birth control want to keep sex dangerous, in the hope that danger will discourage girls and women from having sex.

- The Illusion of Time: What's Real?

- Knowing How Doctors Die Can Change End-Of-Life Discussions

- Controversial Chilean bishop's appointment continues to divide diocese

- ;) ...


3 Comments:

Blogger PrickliestPear said...

The real issue here is that opponents of accessible birth control want to keep sex dangerous, in the hope that danger will discourage girls and women from having sex.

Scary, isn't it? One wonders how they expect anyone to take seriously their rhetoric about abortion when they do things like this that will inevitably increase the number of unwanted pregnancies, and thereby increase the demand for abortions.

4:37 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I think it's that so many of the conservatives against women's reproductive rights don't actually care about the facts, perhaps feel the same way, even ... that must be part of what's behind all those abstinence sex ed programs, the idea that sex is just bad and no one should be doing it, and if there are consequences like abortion, then it's all on the heads of those bad women.

I tried again to comment on your blog a day or two ago - still didn't show up. You did check the spam place? For a while comments here were not getting published but were being automatically sent the the spam areal by Blogger and I had to search for them. I tried to turn the feature off but it can't be done, apparently.

5:22 PM  
Blogger PrickliestPear said...

I actually said something about the abstinence-only sex ed programs in my comment, but deleted it for some reason. Actually, it's because it's something I feel very strongly about, and when I start talking about it, I tend to go on. But you're completely right.

As for your comment on my blog, I checked the spam thing, and the comment didn't show up there. I'm not sure what's wrong. I changed the settings so that "anyone" can post comments, so it should work for you in the future. I also turned comment moderation on, because I think it will be easier to deal with spam that way. But I imagine that means comments won't show up right away.

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home